Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Head up to Cat's Cradle in Carrboro on Nov. 17th!

As the title of the blog mentions, I don't only talk about metal and punk music. Folk music is also one of my favorite forms of music and bluegrass falls under that category. The band I'm suggesting you try to catch at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC on November 17th is just such a band.

Trampled By Turtles is the name of the group; an immaculate blend of the speed of punk music with the heart, soul and instrumentation of American bluegrass music from Duluth, MN. The band started out in the mid 2000s and has released six full length albums to date.

The title track "Wait So Long off" of Trampled By Turtle's latest album, Palomino, is a fine example of this blend, along with a choice cut from the album. Not all songs on the album are as fast-paced as "Wait So Long," which further shows the band's musical prowess. The band shows they can play fast while not getting sloppy, yet they can play slow down but keep the music interesting (as opposed to becoming boring).

This isn't an album review so I will spare the reader of mentioning much else about the record. However, I will say that it is worth a listen if you are interested in American folk music, especially if you like fast. Listen for yourself, and make sure to make the trip to Carrboro to see Trampled By Turtles on November 17th, 2010.

You can listen to the music of Trampled By Turtles at their official Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/trampledbyturtles

3 comments:

  1. Can't say that that's my type of music. I definately know the fast beat that punk music tends to involve, so i can only imagine how bluegrass fits in to that. I'll definately take a listen though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know how to explain my tastes in music to people. A lot of it depends on the mood I’m in—I’ll like a song one day and hate it the next. I can’t say if I’ve ever heard any bluegrass, but I think I have and sometimes I like it. You talked about slow paced songs being boring and I think I might agree. I do think it helps set a certain mood in movies, shows, and games that’s sometimes needed. If the music is always fast past the viewer/player never gets a chance to relax!
    ~Diana, from JOU110

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really enjoy punk rock, it's always been one of my favorites. I've never heard of Trapped by Turtles until now though...very interesting topic! Love the choices!

    ReplyDelete